TGIF! It’s Feel Good Friday! And it’s also Good Friday. For me, Good Friday has me reflecting on what I can do for others. When shit hits the fan in my own life, it is easy for me to panic and only think about myself. Panicking does no good. For anyone. Luckily, I have the most compassionate friends who talk me off a ledge and help me find solutions to my problems. I have also found it interesting that even in my worst times, being able to focus on helping someone else with their problems always made me feel better. While my problems may be big and real to me, there is always someone else who is much worse off. Taking a moment to listen to their worries and help them out of the darkness inevitably helps me sort out my situation.
No act of kindness no matter how small is wasted. – Aesop
So today, I challenge you to do something to pay it forward. Spread some kindness or encouraging words to someone. One small act of kindness can change a person’s life.
This post is dedicated to all of you who bring me joy, comfort, and support. Friends old and new, thank you for your friendship and all the beauty and wonder you bring into my life! I hope to pay forward all the kindness and compassion you have bestowed onto me.
20 Ways to Pay it Forward
- Give someone a hug.
- Call up a friend and tell them why you love them.
- Pay for a coffee for the person standing behind you in line.
- Listen to another person’s woes and acknowledge them. Give them some emotional support.
- Tell a stranger something you like about them. Maybe their clothes or their smile.
- Forgive someone who has wronged you.
- Tell someone you love them and tell them why.
- Make a batch of cookies and share them with your friends and neighbors.
- Ask your waiter/waitress how their day is going.
- Write a commendation for a sales associate who served you well.
- Hold the door open for the person behind you.
- Tell someone they look beautiful today.
- Give someone words of encouragement about their dreams and goals.
- Donate some of your old clothes to charity.
- Send a surprise love note to someone you care about.
- Teach someone a skill that you know.
- Leave encouraging post-it notes in random public places.
- Pick up some litter and throw it away.
- Give your older appliances to someone in need.
- Spread the word and support an independent company or film.
(picture via kindovermatter.com)
What do you like to do to pay it forward? I’d love to hear in the comments below!
We all live together in this crazy world. Let’s help each other bring more happiness into our lives. Live a life that you love. This is your time.