This weekend I went to Disneyland with two good friends of mine. We went to Tomorrowland to watch this band perform. My friends had been raving about the lead singer and said that I would LOVE her. The lead singer was a girl named Tomisina. She was backed by an all-male band. I was skeptical as I sat down to watch her. While I trusted my friends’ opinions, my standard of ‘great’ singing is a bit higher as I’ve been singing my whole life.
The music started. The moment Tomasina opened her mouth, the notes that came out of her mouth filled my ears with joy. THIS GIRL WAS GOOD. I mean REALLY GOOD. She had incredible pitch and range, and best of all, she sang from the heart. Emotion poured through her voice and lit my soul on fire. This girl was an ARTIST!
She sang pop songs like “Shake it off” and “Chandelier”, but she also wailed out Gun ‘N Roses, Led Zeplin, and The Who. This girl was a ROCK GODDESS. She paid homage to the classic way that rock was sung, but she also put her own twist to it that made it her own. It was a genius set.
My friends asked me why she was so good at what she does. It appeared to me that she had mastered the #1 secret of geniuses:
SHE FOUND THE FREEDOM WITHIN THE FORM.
What does that mean? It means that she mastered the techniques of singing and then sang from her soul which brought about a different and unique sound to these classic songs. She followed the structure of the rock songs and then added her own rock flair.
Finding the freedom within the form is what separates the good from the great. You can apply this secret to your travels, your career, and your artistic passion.
Here is how you can find the freedom within the form:
1. Decide what you want to do.
– For travelers: Where do you want to travel? What do you want to accomplish on your trip?
– For your career: Do you want a promotion? Do you want to earn more money?
– For your artistic passion: Do you want to sing? Act? Write? Paint?
2. Master the basics of your craft.
– For travelers: Learn the formalities of the language for the country you are visiting. Learn the customs and the main forms of transportation for that region.
– For your career: Learn everything about your job and what exactly is required of you. Learn how to do it to the best of your ability. Learn about the company. Learn what it’s purpose and procedures are.
– For your passion: Learn the technique. Learn the mechanics of how it works. Drill it until it becomes second nature to you. Put in the reps.
3. Break the rules. Find the freedom within the form! (This is the fun part!)
– For travelers: Now that you know what places to hit and what places to avoid, talk to locals once you arrive and find a local favorite spot to eat at. Take the scenic route to get to your next destination. Go on an adventure that is not written in the guide books. Open yourself up to the possibilities and allow your eyes to open to all the possibilities in front of you. You’ll explore and experience things that are better than you planned!
– For your career: Make yourself useful. Find creative ways to solve problems in other departments. Now that you know the purpose and goals of the company, think outside the box and look for ways to bring more value. The more valuable you are, the more your company will want to hold on to you at any cost.
– For your passion: Dream. Explore. Speak from your heart. Your voice is unique and different from everyone else’s. Let your own voice be heard. Sing the song the way that you feel. Paint with all the colors that you want. Write a novel based on your dreams. Your imagination is limitless. Use it. Breathe and let it flow. Speak from your soul.
Use the form you’ve mastered and expand on it. Make it your own. That’s where the magic happens. Let your imagination take over. Beauty and art will take over. The possibilities are endless!
What do you do to find the freedom within the form? Let me know by writing in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you!
Keep believing in yourself. You’re worth it!
If you liked this post, check out my other post: 10 Ways to Stay Motivated