Need to cleanse your system from the weekend? I do! This weekend I ate my way through crazy amounts of chips, popcorn, and a pint of Haagan Das’s Caramel Cone ice cream. Mmm! Unfortunately, it caused me to break out like crazy! I needed to detox ASAP!
I searched online for a good detox green soup recipe to make so I could restore my balance in my body again. My friend recommended Kirstie Allie’s Green Soup recipe. She had made it many times before and said that it was delicious and cleansing. I took a look at the ingredients and liked everything on it, so I decided to give it a shot! I added a few more ingredients that I knew had extra cleansing power (garlic and ginger), so I added those to the mix. I also halved the recipe because I didn’t have a pot big enough to fit all the ingredients in. It still produced enough soup for 7 days, so I have my halved recipe below.
The soup came out fragrant and delicious! Give it a try if you need to detox or if you are just wanting a healthy meal. The best part about this recipe is:
- it makes such a large batch, I have plenty of soup for the rest of the week! Definitely a time saver!
- I have a healthy meal already prepared in the fridge so I am not tempted to buy junk food
- the nutrients give me energy to get through the rest of the week and scrub out the crap in my tummy
Give it a try! I’ve added my tweaks to the recipe below. Enjoy!
DETOX GREEN SOUP RECIPE
(adapted from Kirstie Alley and Sean Prenter)
- 4 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 knubs ginger
- 4 leeks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 big bunch asparagus
- 2 big bunches broccoli
- 1 big bunch spinach
- 2 32 oz. containers organic chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1.5 tbsp sea salt
- Black pepper for taste
- Cayenne pepper for taste (optional)
1. Prepare all the veggies. Peel and slice the shallots thinly. Peel and mince garlic. Peel and chop ginger. Cut the leeks just above the white part, peel the outer layer off and cut them open lengthwise. Rinse them out well, then chop into chunks. Cut hard ends off asparagus. Cut stems off broccoli.
2. Put EVOO in a large deep pot. Turn heat to medium-high. Put shallots into oil and sweat shallots. Make sure they don’t brown.
3. Add 1 tbsp sea salt, garlic, and ginger.
4. Add leeks and asparagus. Allow them all to sweat. If they get too dry, add a little bit of chicken/vegetable broth.
5. Once they are all sweated down and tender, break the broccoli into small chunks and put them in the pot. Cook for 2 minutes.
6. Then add 1 whole container of chicken/vegetable broth. Cook for 10 minutes.
7. Add 2nd container of chicken/vegetable broth, and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on the color. You want the broccoli to remain a bright green color.
8. Add spinach and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
9. Turn heat off and season with the rest of salt and pepper.
10. Transfer soup into blender in increments. Puree mixture.
11. Pour into a bowl and enjoy!